Questions to ask a bookkeeper before you hire one
Many smart business owners hire bookkeepers to help them to manage their finances. They also ask the right questions to help them hire a bookkeeper who will be a good fit for the service they need.
Here are 5 questions you should ask before you hire a bookkeeper for your business.
1. Are you registered?
If you need help with your business activity statement (BAS) preparation and lodgement (like many business owners do), you need to hire a bookkeeper who is registered with the Tax Practitioners Board.
2. Do you charge a fixed fee or an hourly rate?
Bookkeepers that charge an hourly rate give you greater flexibility. You only need to pay for the service that you need, which can change depending on:
· the time of year
· how your business needs change over time.
3. What services do you offer?
Ideally you want to find a bookkeeper who can provide as many services as you need. Those services could include:
· accounts receivable and payable
· bank reconciliations
· BAS preparation and lodgement
· liaising with the Australian Taxation Office on your behalf
· lodgement of your compulsory super obligations for your employees
· conversion to an automated bookkeeping system to make managing your business finances quick and easy.
Our team at Scorpion Bookkeeping are registered BAS tax agents. We can help you to set up cloud-based Xero software to help you manage your business finances and ensure your compliance with any ATO reporting requirements. We are a Xero-certified partner.
We can also provide your business with cost-effective bookkeeping support services. We service a diverse range of clients in South Australia, Victoria and New South Wales.
Contact us today for a free, no-obligation consultation to find out how we can help! We’d be happy to answer any questions you have.